LEGO Universe News! Forums
Welcome to the LEGO Universe News! Forums!

While registration is not required, it will unlock the ability to join in the discussion, send private messages to users, see additional topics, and more! We do not ask for personal information upon registration such as your date of birth, phone number, real name, or physical address - only a valid email is required for registration. We will never share your information with others or use for purposes other than LEGO-related news, issues regarding your account, or news regarding the forum.

If you register, you can have a blast with some bricks on the LEGO Universe News Forums!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the LEGO Universe News! Forums!

While registration is not required, it will unlock the ability to join in the discussion, send private messages to users, see additional topics, and more! We do not ask for personal information upon registration such as your date of birth, phone number, real name, or physical address - only a valid email is required for registration. We will never share your information with others or use for purposes other than LEGO-related news, issues regarding your account, or news regarding the forum.

If you register, you can have a blast with some bricks on the LEGO Universe News Forums!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LEGO fan-game brainstorm discussion

3 posters

Go down

LEGO fan-game brainstorm discussion Empty LEGO fan-game brainstorm discussion

Post by shafirsabbag Fri 15 Nov 2013, 10:55 am

Here is a topic were we can discuss the upcoming developed possibly fan-made online LEGO game.

rioforce wrote:BACK ON TOPIC, OR ELSE! Mad  (Just kidding. Razz )

Well, I've never actually modded Chima online, but I've seen pictures (won't mention who or he might get lots of PMs. Razz ). I'd much rather make my own game, that or re-open LEGO Universe. I think that creativity is key, and the computer is a good medium for creativity (because you can do anything you want). But real LEGO is always the best medium. Smile

@shafirsabbag Technically, you don't need to know how to draw to become a good 3D Artist. If you sketch it it helps, but as long as you know what you sketched, that's all that counts. I cannot draw very well, but I can model stuff in 3D. Very Happy

Ok, now back on topic (unless you have a reply for me. Razz )
I take the first option, about creating the game. It gives more oppurtunities and it is honestly more entertaining and creative in my opinon.

I cannot model, but I can draw fairly good to make the object seen in a neat way. I do not know what you identify as "sketch", but I will make it as clear as possible. Could you, if i draw the object, model it and put it in the game engine? I do unfournetly not have time being on the computer during long periods. You are already the most and the only skilled modeler i know.

One of the reasons noone has been able to to make a game, was because noone knew what the game would be about. The objects wasn´t connected, however since i am instead focused on the story and lore other than the game itself, will everything will be planned and there is a big chance to create the game.

I don´t want anything to be leaked to the media for two reasons. 1) I could be risc for pladiorism, and 2) I do not want to crush peoples hopes during the developement. Instead I will announce the game when the game is at least 75% done, and everyone will have the chance to play the "alpha". There will be no contests, everyone can play if they want.

unitx10 wrote:Don't know what either of those are, but hey, sounds good to me! I've always wanted to build a game, never knew how.
Well theoraticlly it is pretty simple. Get a pen and piece of paper and draw your own world. If you can draw it, and with a little assistance, you can even model it digitally. It is all within the imagination.

What do you guys think?
shafirsabbag
shafirsabbag
Sentinel Graduate
Sentinel Graduate

LEGO Universe Free-to-Play and Members LEGO fan-game brainstorm discussion Empty

Back to top Go down

LEGO fan-game brainstorm discussion Empty Re: LEGO fan-game brainstorm discussion

Post by rioforce Fri 15 Nov 2013, 11:40 am

Sounds like a good idea, if you have lots of time. It's fairly hard to create a game, unless you have a complete team of programmers, 3D modelers, texture creators, music composers, story writers, concept artists. Yes, the storyline is key to creating a game, because if you just start out without a story, you don't know what you are doing. I tried making a game before (The Legend Team) and we failed because each team member didn't have much free time, and we were scattered without a story, etc. It's not impossible to create a game, it's just really hard to build the engine. I enjoy modeling and creating things in 3D, because it's fun, and I enjoy seeing my work going into something good, and I enjoy playing video games, but the general process of making one is tough.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from trying, I was just telling you my experience. Smile
rioforce
rioforce
Founder
Founder

LEGO Universe Free-to-Play LEGO Universe Closed Beta LEGO Minifigures Online Closed Beta

Back to top Go down

LEGO fan-game brainstorm discussion Empty Re: LEGO fan-game brainstorm discussion

Post by shafirsabbag Fri 15 Nov 2013, 11:48 am

rioforce wrote:Sounds like a good idea, if you have lots of time. It's fairly hard to create a game, unless you have a complete team of programmers, 3D modelers, texture creators, music composers, story writers, concept artists. Yes, the storyline is key to creating a game, because if you just start out without a story, you don't know what you are doing. I tried making a game before (The Legend Team) and we failed because each team member didn't have much free time, and we were scattered without a story, etc. It's not impossible to create a game, it's just really hard to build the engine. I enjoy modeling and creating things in 3D, because it's fun, and I enjoy seeing my work going into something good, and I enjoy playing video games, but the general process of making one is tough.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from trying, I was just telling you my experience. Smile
I prefer quality than quantity. It is better to have a small group who knows what they are doing, than many who does not know up from down. As of this moment everything i have is just scattered notes here are there i took from a while ago when i thought of the game in my mind. Remember it is not the time who gives work, it is the opposite.

If you model for entertainment, then what reasons do you have to not completing this task?Think about it, many grew possibly sick of developing the game since they did not enjoy what they were doing, so it is as important to enjoy your work while staying on track.

I never said we are actually gonna build our own engine, but use the Unity one and adapt it to our liking. Let us first take on thing at a time. Let us have something to work with, and then discuss the scripting. What good is the script if you cannot do anything with them? First you need to have a stable ground, then can you add details.

In other words, are you intersted in assisting in the developement of the game? It will be a great experience, and I always think ahead before i get into action. Trust me, it will be a blast. I has it already thought it over in my head, i just have to put it onto paper. Should not be to hard. Remember always stay positive.
shafirsabbag
shafirsabbag
Sentinel Graduate
Sentinel Graduate

LEGO Universe Free-to-Play and Members LEGO fan-game brainstorm discussion Empty

Back to top Go down

Post by rioforce Fri 15 Nov 2013, 12:46 pm

What I meant by "game engine" was scripting. Of course, you would use a pre-built game development program like Unity.

Sorry, but I don't have time to develop a video game right now. I have lots of other things and I have to focus on school until the summer. Smile
rioforce
rioforce
Founder
Founder

LEGO Universe Free-to-Play LEGO Universe Closed Beta LEGO Minifigures Online Closed Beta

Back to top Go down

Post by shafirsabbag Sat 16 Nov 2013, 3:37 am

rioforce wrote:What I meant by "game engine" was scripting. Of course, you would use a pre-built game development program like Unity.

Sorry, but I don't have time to develop a video game right now. I have lots of other things and I have to focus on school until the summer. Smile
Right, i see. May be a another time then.
shafirsabbag
shafirsabbag
Sentinel Graduate
Sentinel Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by unitx10 Mon 18 Nov 2013, 5:09 pm

I think it's a good idea! If you aren't in high school or collage and have the time to learn how to program that is! As it is, I'd love to learn how to program, but I think what Sharfirsabbag, (is there an abbreviation for that?) is getting at is while we wait for summer to start actually making the game, come up with the story now. That is quite fun as is, I do it all the time! What did you have in mind Shafirsabbag? (PLEASE come up with an abbreviation for that!)
unitx10
unitx10
Assembly Graduate
Assembly Graduate

LEGO Universe Free-to-Play and Members

Back to top Go down

Post by shafirsabbag Tue 19 Nov 2013, 12:30 pm

unitx10 wrote:I think it's a good idea! If you aren't in high school or collage and have the time to learn how to program that is! As it is, I'd love to learn how to program, but I think what Sharfirsabbag, (is there an abbreviation for that?) is getting at is while we wait for summer to start actually making the game, come up with the story now. That is quite fun as is, I do it all the time! What did you have in mind Shafirsabbag? (PLEASE come up with an abbreviation for that!)
Do not worry, I will. I am just busy fandubbing a Kingdom Hearts game lately, and editing and translating everything. I will make a abbreviation soon.
shafirsabbag
shafirsabbag
Sentinel Graduate
Sentinel Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down